Waxing FAQs - Pre-care & post-care advice
Pre care waxing advice
• Prior to your wax, let it grow for at least 1-2 weeks without shaving or waxing so you have a least a ¼ inch of hair
• Exfoliate with an oil and moisturiser free product, best still use dry skin brushing prior to shower to remove dead skin and lift trapped hairs.
• Don’t use moisturiser on the day of your wax leave the skin as dry as possible so the hair does not slip from the wax and you get a great result
• Avoid heat from the sun, exercise, saunas or steam rooms
• Avoid skin sensitisers wait until you finish a course of antibiotics, or OTC creams with retinol or alpha hydroxyl ingredients avoid waxing for 1 week and Accutane treatment best to steer clear for 1 year from waxing
Post care waxing advice
Post waxing your skin needs to be looked after for 24 – 48 hours after treatment regardless of the size of the area that has been treated. The hair follicles will remain open for up to 12 hours and heat will be retained in the skin, therefore, to avoid any complications such as a rash the following advice must be adhered to:
• No hot baths or showers for 24 hours
• No sunbeds or sun exposure for at least 24 hours
• Wear loose clothing after treatment
• Clean bed sheets or bed clothes
• Do not apply perfumed products for at least 24 hours
• Do not apply make-up over the waxed area
• Avoid touching the area that has been treated
• Do not swim for at least 24 hours
• Do not exfoliate for at least 24 hour
• Don’t shave between waxes, its best to tweeze out the odd hair.
If you are unfortunate enough to suffer with ingrown hairs it is best not to try to squeeze them out of the skin as quite often this can lead to infection of the hair follicle. We would suggest exfoliating the areas you have waxed twice a week to prevent ingrown hairs or use dry skin brushing to remove dead cells.